The Fifth Station/ Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital (Demolished)
On the junction of Bonham Road and Breezy Path will be the new building of Ying Wa Girl’s School, where the old Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital was originally located. The complex constituted of three hospitals, including Nethersole Hospital, built in 1893; Alice Memorial Maternity Hospital, built in 1904; and Ho Miu Ling Hospital, built in 1909. The three hospitals were all managed by the London Missionary Society (now the Council for World Mission), and were merged in 1951.
Due to the deterioration of the hospital buildings towards the 1970s, the London Missionary Society planned to reconstruct the hospitals on the original site in stages. However, the proposal was not approved by the government. In the 1980s, the government allocated a site in Tai Po for the construction of a new hospital, now commonly known as Tai Po Nethersole Hospital. When the land of the site in Sai Ying Pun was eventually sold in the late 1980s for residential use, the revenue were invested in the new hospital building in Tai Po.
The management of the new hospital was to be handed over to the Hospital Authority, a government body responsible for managing Hong Kong’s public hospitals services. During the construction of the new hospital, the hospital management team and the medical staff were temporarily relocated to the newly built Eastern Hospital so as to continue their services to the public. In 1997, when the hospital building was completed in Tai Po, medical staff had the freedom to choose to work in either the Eastern Hospital or the hospital in Tai Po.
Address/ Intersection of Bonham Road and Breezy Path, Sai Ying Pun