Fourth Station/ Mental Institutions Cluster
Medical understanding of psychiatry was rudimentary in the past. Patients were often treated as if they were ‘going crazy’. In the early days of colonial Hong Kong, psychiatric patients were even held captive in a prison orhospital. In 1875, Western lunatic asylum was first established on Hollywood Road (current PMQ) and relocated to Eastern Street in 1886. Rebuilt in 1970 as the David Trench Rehabilitation Centre, the site was demolished in 2011 for MTR Exit construction. Chinese Lunatic Asylum, built in 1891 next to the western one, has been preserved and operates as the Eastern Street Methadone Clinic. \
Sisters’ Quarters of Civil Hospital (High Street Ghost House)/
The facade of the Sai Ying Pun Community Complex was once the arched verandah of the quarters for the Civil Hospital’s European nursing staff, which helped to protect the building from the heat and rain. Constructed in 1892, the quarters was made spacious and magnificent to attract European doctors and nurses to stay and work in Hong Kong. In 1937, with the completion of Queen Mary Hospital, the Civil Hospital’s role had gradually been less significant in the medical sector. The nurses’ quarters therefore turned into an institution for the treatment of mentally ill female patients. After the mental hospital relocated to Castle Peak in Tuen Mun in 1961, the architecture became an out-patient clinic until it fell into disuse in 1970.
Rumour had it that the site was used as military execution ground during the Japanese occupation. After being abandoned, it attracted many teenagers to sneak in and seek adventure, which contributed to its fame as ‘High Street Ghost House’ with widespread mysterious stories. In face of the demand for recreational facilities, in 1999 the government reconstructed the building into a new Sai Ying Pun Community Complex, with the facade of the historic building preserved.
地址/ 西營盤高街2 號
Address/ 2 High Street, Sai Ying Pun