Tenth Station/ Residence of the Superintendent of Government Civil Hospital, and Doctors’ Quarters
Government Civil Hospital provided western medical treatment for its patients. However, because there were not enough Western-trained Chinese doctors and nurses, the hospital needed to recruit its staff from Europe and America. In order to attract medical talents from overseas, the hospital offered attractive living quarters to its staff. On the small hill behind the Government Civil Hospital, scenic grounds were created to incorporate the residences of the superintendent and doctors.
After the demise of the crown of King George V in 1936, the colonial Hong Kong government planned to build memorial parks in both Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. However, due to the outbreak of WWII, the proposal was put off and the Hong Kong King George V Memorial Park was not built until the 1950s. The eventual site of the park was once a fort which protected warehouses in Sai Ying Pun from being robbed by pirates or fleets of vessels from other countries. One can still find traces of the old fort in the northwest corner of the park today.
Address/Intersection of High Street and Eastern Street, Sai Ying Pun