Second Station/ King’s College
Address/ 63A Bonham Road
Since becoming a British colony, various missionary societies underwent development and opened schools throughout Hong Kong. In response to this, the colonial government started to establish government-funded schools in the mid-19th century in order to ensure its leading role in Hong Kong’s education policy through the provision of free, non-religious education. The government built the Saiyingpun School on the present site of Li Sing Primary School in 1891. Years
later, in 1926, the government granted a lot on Bonham Road for the construction of a new secondary school.
The new school building, however, was to be commandeered for use as a military camp in 1927, and it was not established until 1928 when it officially opened under the name, ‘King’s College’. The college, a red-brick Edwardian-styled building with an English courtyard and columns, is a beautiful spot in Sai Ying Pun. King’s College is now a declared monument in Hong Kong.