Let historical landmarks and architecture take us back in time, open up conversation with the past and rediscover the forgotten details…
With the generous support of the Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust, CACHe is organizing a series of activities in association with RTHK’s History of Hong Kong Series III with the aim to further promote the public’s interest in local history. TheHistory of Hong Kong Series covers a wide range of topics that surround many historical landmarks, including the histories of medical and legal development, the press, transportation, housing, and community development. The photography competition aims to enlist the community to discover more stories of the past through their camera lenses.
The Hong Kong History Series – Historical Landmarks (Please click here for the list)
1. Silver/Film/ Digital Photography – open
2. Silver/Film/Digital Photography – student (full-time students under 18 years of age)
3. Mobile photography – Instagram
Awards and Prizes
A winner, a first runner-up, and a second runner-up will be chosen from each of the Silver Photography groups.
The work earning the highest number of ‘like’ on Instagram will win the Most Liked Photo Award
Winning works will be exhibited at CACHe and may be used for printing on souvenir folders.
Winners of the Silver Photography groups: HKD$1000 book voucher and certificate
First runner-up of the Silver Photography groups: HKD$800 book voucher and certificate
Second runner-up of the Silver Photography groups: HKD$500 book voucher and certificate
The Most Liked Photo Award of Mobile Photography – One FujiFilm instax mini 7S Instant Camera
How to enter
Silver and Digital Photography – Please submit your work (in 8R or larger format) along with the entry form on or before 15 October, 2015 by mail or by hand to CACHe. Winners will be chosen among all the entries. Click here to download the entry form.
Mobile Photography – Enter the competition via Instagram by:
1. Follow ‘cache.instaheritage on Instagram
2. Log on to your Instagram account, take a photo of a historic landmark, and write some words to go with it
3. Share your photo on Instagram, making sure that your account setting is ‘public’
4. Hashtag #instaheritagehk15 and mention @cache.instaheritage
5. Tag ‘cache.instaheritage’
* There is no limit on the number of photos entered by an account, but the ‘like’ counts cannot be transferred between photos entered by the same account
* Photos can be uploaded for voting between 1 August 2015 and 23:59 on 15 October 2015
* The work earning the highest number of ‘like’ will be given the Most Liked Photo Award; in case of same vote counts, the adjudicators’ decision will preside
Composition – Mr. Douglas So, Founder of the F11 Photographic Museum
Historian – Dr Ma Muk Chi, Programme Director of the M.A. Programme in Comparative and Public History.
Conservation – Mr. Lau Kowk Wai, Executive Director of CACHe
Representative from RTHK– Mr. Ricky Lee, Executive Producer of The History of Hong Kong Series III
Photographic skills (30%)
Composition and aesthetic (30%)
Thematic relevance (20%)
Silver and Digital Photography
- Entries should be submitted in photo sizes of 8R (20cmx 25cm) or above. Colour and monochrome images are both eligible. Images taken by digital still cameras with 8 million pixels or above and printed with colour photographic paper will also be accepted.
- Entries must be true to the original landscape captured. Minor editing such as cropping, computer processing for colour, white balance, brightness and contrast are acceptable. Computer composing and over-editing are not allowed.
- Entries do not have to be mounted or framed. Entries will not be returned once submitted.
- Printed image, together with the completed entry form (including name and short description of the entry with no more than 100 words (in English) or 50 words (in Chinese), should be sent by mail or by hand to CACHe on or before the closing date for the contest in the envelope clearly marked “The History of Hong Kong III – Historical Landmarks Photography Competition” (Postmark date on the envelope will be regarded as the submission date. Late applications will not be accepted.)
- Winners are required to provide copies of original image files to the organizer upon request for exhibition or publication uses
- An entrant (Instagram account) can enter any number of times between 1 August 2015 and 23:59 15 October 2015. Each entry will be judged according to the number of votes (like) it earns individually. A photo can win no more than one prize.
- By entering this Instagram photo competition, each entrant agrees to accept and be bound by the terms and conditions of this competition.
Terms and conditions
- All entries must follow these guidelines:
- Results will beannounced on the CACHe Facebook pageby 31 October 2015. Winners will be notified individually by CACHe and requested to submit the original file of the entry to ensure its originality. Winners may have to provide their personal details upon prize collection for the purpose of confirming their identities
- CACHe is not responsible for ensuring that winners are notified of the results. CACHe reserves the right to determine the arrangement of unclaimed prizes
- CACHe may post submitted works on its Facebook page
- CACHe reserves the right to alter or modify these Terms and Conditions without prior notice
- Other than for the promotional purpose mentioned in these Terms and Conditions, CACHe will not provide your personal information to any third party without your consent. CACHe will not sell or disclose in any other way the personal information of entrants of this competition or visitors of this website
- By entering this Competition, you agree and acknowledge to these Terms and Conditions. CACHe reserves the sole and absolute right to disqualify any person who violates the above Terms and Conditions or obtains any prize by inappropriate means, including but not limited to any dishonest or fraudulent act or means, or any invalid or false information upon entering the competition.
- Entries must be wholly-owned creation and must not infringe third-party copyright or other intellectual property rights
- Entries must not, in part or in entirety, contain or display any content that is not wholly-owned by the entrant
- Entries must not contain any content that infringe the personal or proprietary right of any other person; they must not contain any defamatory or libellous element
- Entries must be suitable for viewing by all age groups and should be in accordance with the Law and regulations
- Entries must not contain or display any text or image that is deemed malicious, obscene, vulgar, or inappropriate by CACHe
- The entrant agrees and acknowledges that CACHe has the right to use any submitted work for promotional purpose without the need for further consent from or compensation to the entrant
- Entries that violate the above guidelines will be deemed invalid. CACHe has the sole and final decision in relation to the publication of the photos without having to notify or warn the entrant
/ About us
Established in 2005, CACHe is committed to organizing different heritage conservation activities. Its mission is to promote the history and culture of Hong Kong, to develop a knowledge exchange platform, and to encourage public engagement in the conservation of community cultural heritage and hence enhance the realization of their social identities.
Tel: 2291 0238
Presented by /