Situated on On Kui Street of Fanling, this stone tablet was erected by the Tai Po District Office in 1934. According to the tablet, it is prohibited to tether cows here so as not to obstruct pedestrians and cause damage to the path.
Cattle carts were one of the early means of transportation in Hong Kong. During the early days, villagers in the New Territories used cattle for ploughing and carrying goods; the colonial government also deployed a large number of cattle carts to transport refuse. There used to be cattle depots in both Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. It wasn’t until the 1930s that this mode of transportation began to be eliminated. Cattle-drawn carts have a high loading capacity but the heavy weight could easily cause damage to roads. Therefore, there were places where cattle carts were prohibited. Cart owners who had to use the roads in the prohibited areas needed to put a layer of stones on the road surface for protection against damage.
Since no measures were taken to keep the stone tablet from wearing away, after years of exposure to the sun and rain, the words inscribed on the tablet became blurry and hard to read. A metal sign was erected on the site to show the information on the stone tablet.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238