Grading: Grade 2 (Yuen Tung Po Din, Tin Wong Din & Wai Tor Din)
Situated in Lo Wai of Tsuen Wan, Tung Po Tor Monastery was founded by Buddhist Mau Fung, who came to Hong Kong in 1927 to promote Buddhism. In the scenic village of Lo Wai, Mau Fung successfully raised funds to build the monastery, which was completed in 1933. He named the monastery Tung Po Tor as he found that the scenery of the village resembles that of Mount Putuo in Zhejiang; and emphasised in its Chinese name the importance of preaching in promoting Buddhism.
Huge in dimension, the monastery is built in the form of a traditional Buddhist temple, with a large number of halls. The main hall, called Yuen Tung Bo Din, is dedicated to Guanyin. After the passing of Mau Fung in 1964, a memorial hall was established in the monastery. A statue of Mau Fung and a number of his items — including a robe gifted by the Emperor of Japan when he was preaching in Taiwan — were placed in the hall. During the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong, Mau Fung opened the monastery to worshippers and villagers as a place of refuge. He once wore that robe and stood in front of the monastery. This prompted the Japanese army to put down their weapons and salute to him, protecting the monastery from disturbance.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238