Grading: Grade 1
Built in 1931, St Teresa’s Church is named after Saint Thérèse of Lisieux, the Patron Saint of the Missions.
Laid out in the shape of a Latin cross, the church is a combination of different architectural styles. It has a central dome ceiling with an octagonal Byzantine roof; side aisles are defined by Corinthian columns with leaf motifs on the capitals and arches at the top; the roof is covered with Chinese tiles. The glass windows feature simple patterns of yellow and green, a design in line with Saint Thérèse’s pursuit of spiritual simplicity. Situated next to the church is a clock tower, which used to be a dominant feature in the Kowloon Tong skyline. During the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong, the bronze bell of the clock tower was sold to help the poor. The old clock was later replaced by an electric one. After the Second World War, the traffic in the area became a lot heavier, and traffic accidents took place at the intersection where the church is located. The church therefore erected a statue — the only one in Hong Kong — of Saint Christopher, the Patron Saint of Travellers, in hopes of protecting the safety of drivers and pedestrians.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238