Grading: Declared Monument
Ancestors of the Liu clan had been moving to what is today known as the New Territories since the Yuan Dynasty and finally settled in Sheung Shui. Built in 1751, this magnificent three-hall and two-internal-courtyard structure is the largest ancestral hall of the Liu clan in Sheung Shui. It was said that the name “Man Shek”, which literally means “ten thousand stones” in Chinese, referred to the amount of salaries earned by the Liu ancestors. Legend has it that five of the clan members served as high-ranking officials in the Song Dynasty, and that each of them earned a salary of 2,000 stones, making the total 10,000. To commemorate the achievement of their ancestors, descendants of the clan named the ancestral hall “Liu Man Shek Tong”. The Liu clan founded Fung Kai School in 1932. The ancestral hall was once used as the campus of the school, and the interior space of the building was modified. Students moved out of the hall in 1974, as the school was relocated to a new site. The ancestral hall was renovated in 1984 and 1994.
On the second day of the second lunar month every year, the Spring ancestral worship ceremony — one of the most important events of the year for the clan — is performed in Liu Man Shek Ancestral Hall, with a variety of offerings. The ceremony follows the old custom and many traditional rites have been preserved.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238