Grading: Declared Monument
In 1899, a flag-raising ceremony was held by the colonial government on the Flagstaff Hill in Tai Po to mark the British takeover of the New Territories. It later turned into a fierce battle, which became known as the “Six-Day War” between the British and local villagers. Unable to resist enemy attacks, the villagers finally surrendered. Immediately after it took over the area, the government built the first district office and police station in the New Territories, which were set up as a centre of governance on the highest point of the hill overlooking the entire region.
Established in 1907, the Old District Office North, Tai Po was responsible for handling a wide range of work, including district administration affairs, land registration, birth and death registration, and arbitration matters. The planning of infrastructure development, including the construction of roads and the supply of water and electricity in the New Territories during its early days, was also carried out in the District Office. A Magistrate’s Court was once established in the building to try cases but ceased to operate in 1961.
The structure of District Offices changed due to the reformation of district administration in 1982, the building of the Old District Office North, Tai Po ceased service in the following year. Currently, the building is used as the Law Ting Pong Scout Centre.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238