Grading: Grade 2 ( School building of 1935)
In the past, due to the lack of transportation, children living in the Islands District could only attend schools on the islands. In 1927, Peng Chau residents founded Peng Chau Chi Yan Public School, the first school on the outlying island. At the time, an existing building was rented as a temporary site for the school. It was until 1935 that a school building was completed, with donations from the residents and land allocated by the government. After the Second World War, there was an increasing number of school-age children in Hong Kong, and the school campus was expanded. At its peak, there were more than 400 students studying at the school. In 2006, the school ceased operation due to insufficient enrolment, but it remains as an important cultural venue on the island. Every year, during the traditional Tin Hau parade in Peng Chau, the school playground opens and serves as a resting station for people joining the procession. The extension block on the north side of the campus, which was built after the war, has been demolished. In 2013, despite strong opposition from the public, the government converted the block into residential use, and the school, which had nurtured several generations of islanders , was unable to be preserved completely.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238