Grading: Grade 2
Built in 1574, the second year of Wanli in the Ming Dynasty, Chik Chuen Wai is the largest walled village among those in the “Nine Alliances of Lek Yuen”. It is therefore granted the name “Tai Wai”, meaning “big village” in Chinese. During the Qing Dynasty, bandits and thieves were rampant. Chik Chuen Wai, a village surrounded by walls, was built by villagers from over twenty different clans, as an attempt to prevent theft. The Wai family was the biggest clan in the village, where the Wai Ancestral Hall can be found.
The village is rectangular in shape. Passing through the entrance gate and going straight inside, you’ll see Hau Wong Temple at the end of the alley. Five narrow horizontal lanes are arranged in an orderly form on both sides. The walls that enclosed the village have long been removed. In the 1920s, the defence tower collapsed and the rest of the houses in the village were renovated. The entrance gate is one of the few relics left on the site that shows the features of the old Chinese walled villages. The gate is inscribed with the Chinese characters of “Chik Chuen Wai”, which means accumulating virtue and having a good heart. A couplet is displayed on the two sides of the gate. Inside the gate stands a shrine dedicated to the Earth God, which is still worshipped by the villagers today.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238