Grading: Declared Monument
It is unclear when exactly the Tung Lung Fort was built. According to the Gazetteer of Xin’an County, the fort was constructed between 1662 and 1722 during the reign of Emperor Kangxi; other historical records show that the structure was ordered to be built by Yang Lin during his term as Viceroy of Guangdong and Guangxi between 1719 and 1724. The place where the fort is situated was an important military post overlooking the major routes of merchant ships on the Fat Tong Mun Channel. However, due to difficulties in replenishing supplies, the fort has been left derelict since 1810, with troops and armaments removed from the site. There were fifteen guardhouses and eight canons at the fort, but they have been severely damaged and deformed. What remains on the site are the external wall of brick and stone and the foundation of the structure.
According to historical records, the first rock carving discovered in Hong Kong is situated at Tung Lung Chau. It is also the largest rock carving ever found in the city. Patterns in the carving are complicated, but the shape of a dragon can be clearly seen. Some scholars believe that the carving dates back to the late Neolithic period, which was about four thousand years from the present.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238