Grading: Declared Monument
Opened in 1910, Kowloon-Canton Railway (British Section) was the first heavy rail in Hong Kong. During its early days, the Tsim Sha Tsui railway terminus was located at the site of a rented warehouse. The terminus began construction in 1913, and was completed three years later, with the Clock Tower as an accompanying feature. At that time, mechanical components of the Clock Tower had yet to be delivered to Hong Kong, and the clock from the demolished Pedder Street Clock Tower was reused. In 1920, a four-sided electric clock was installed in the Clock Tower to welcome passengers arriving at the Tsim Sha Tsui terminus. Having served its day and generation, the railway terminus was relocated in 1975 to Hung Hom. The plan of the colonial government to remove the entire terminus caused great concern among the public. In the end, the terminus building was demolished to make way for the construction of the Hong Kong Cultural Centre, while the Clock Tower was preserved as a historic landmark.
The Clock Tower represents the history of the Kowloon-Canton Railway, which connected different parts of Hong Kong. In the past, being able to take the train was something special to villagers from the New Territories, especially to those who rarely travelled to the downtown area of the city.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238