Grading: Declared Monument
The Western Market consisted of two separate blocks — the South and North Blocks. The former, built in 1858, has been demolished. Expanded and completed in 1906, the existing North Block is the oldest market building in Hong Kong. The market was used as a rice granary during the period of Japanese occupation in the Second World War. It was after the liberation of Hong Kong that the market resumed its original purpose.
The Western Market has a high ceiling and a symmetrical layout. Its walls are finished with red brick and plaster, forming a pattern of red and white stripes on the facades. The building, integrating Chinese and Western architectural elements, has a pitched Chinese-tiled roof that allows rainwater to flow down easily. The design also takes into account the wet environment of the market. The floor of the building features a non-slip surface, above which the walls are fitted with air vents.
The market was left vacant after vendors were relocated in 1989 to the municipal services building nearby. The building was then revitalised in 1991.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238