Second Station/ the Second Street Public Bathroom
The plague not only brought about a public dispensary, but also a pink-coloured public bathroom. As a means to reduce the spread of the epidemic after the plague broke out, the colonial government deemed it necessary to improve the hygienic conditions of where the Chinese lived. In 1904, the government started to build public bathrooms in Central and Western district, and one of these was located on Second Street. This particular public bathroom was rebuilt in 1922, with the old interior design preserved. The design puts functionality first and privacy second, so one has to lay their cards on the table, as it were, when taking a shower with other facility users. The public bathroom is still open to this day. It only supplies hot water from November to May, so one has to endure a cold shower in other seasons.
Address/ Intersection of Second Street and Western Street, Sai Ying Pun
上一站/ 舊西約公立方便醫局 及 舊贊育醫院 Previous Station/ Old Western Public Dispensary ＆Old Tsan Yuk Hospital
下一站/ 福德宮 Next Station/ Fuk Tak Kung
西營盤歷史文化徑/ 醫療及衛生發展 Sai Ying Pun Heritage Trail – The Development of Medical Services and Public Health