On this three-storey white building, the name “Hung Hom (Three Districts) Kaifong Association” is prominently displayed. The “three districts” refer to Hung Hom, Hok Yuen Kok, and To Kwa Wan. Next to this white edifice is the Kwun Yam Temple, which was planned by residents of the three districts, and completed in 1873. Hung Hom Sam Yeuk So, a group founded in 1902, established free schools and public dispensaries in the districts. In 1951, the group was reorganised into the Hung Hom (Three Districts) Kaifong Association. A children’s playground built by the association was opened in the same year.
In 1954, the association established a clubhouse on its current site. The building features on its first floor the first library of the association, providing local students with a quiet study space. The association used the funds received in 1959 to build a free maternity home next to the temple, to help relieve the burden on the public healthcare system caused by the baby boom after the Second World War. The maternity home has now become a general out-patient clinic. The association, which has witnessed the development of Hung Hom, is still actively serving the local community today.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238