Grading: Grade 2 (Villa, Gate House & Dormitory A)
There are three buildings remaining on the former site of St Joseph’s Home for the Aged, which has been completely enclosed for construction works. The site was previously a farm run by Sun Mei, an elder brother of Dr Sun Yat-sen. The farm was bought in 1908 by Chen Shaobai — one of the “Four Bandits” known for plotting to overthrow the Qing Dynasty — and used as a hiding place for Sun Mei. It served secretly as the base and meeting place of the Chinese Revolutionary Alliance. For instance, Sun Mei sewed blue-sky-white-sun flags in the farm, to be used in revolutionary activities. In 1910, Sun Mei was deported from Hong Kong. After that, Chen built a mansion on the site and sold the house and land to Chan Kang-yue, a Hong Kong businessman, as a private residence. In 1962, the Little Sisters of the Poor from France bought the site and founded the care home for the elderly.
The farm is one of the few recorded places in Hong Kong, where preparations for the anti-Qing revolution were underway. Both Sun Mei’s farm and the Castle Peak Farm are important relics in the history of Hong Kong’s revolution. Nonetheless, there aren’t any plans to restore or conserve the relics.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238