Grading: Grade 2
Both Tin Hau Temple and Hip Tin Temple are located in Sai Kung Town. It is unknown when the temples were built, but according to the earliest inscriptions found in the former, Tin Hau temple was renovated in 1916. In that same year, villagers of Sai Kung invited Kwan Tai from Hip Tin Temple to be the neighbour of Tin Hau. After that, the two temples were situated next to each other, forming a five-bay structure divided by walls with gables in the shape of a wok handle. Inside the Tin Hau Temple, there is a tablet inscribed with names of various shops that made donations to the temple. Featured at the entrance of Hip Tin Temple is a Chinese couplet finely carved in relief. The carving, which was completed with a lot of materials, is of great value. Both features of the temples show the prosperity of Sai Kung Town at the time.
Apart from being a place of worship, the temples also housed a school called “Po Tung”, which means “common” in Chinese. The name expresses the idea that everyone, including the common people, is provided an opportunity to receive education. The school was converted into an office of the Kai Fong Association, after it ceased operation in 1945.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238