Grading: Grade 3
Tai Long Village is a traditional Hakka village located in eastern Sai Kung, where people used to practise Chinese folk religions. In the late Qing Dynasty, a group of missionaries arrived and converted the villagers to Catholicism. As a result of the successful preaching, the villagers stopped worshipping their ancestral tablets and the Tin Hau Temple in the village was abandoned over time. The first group of converted villagers were baptised in the Holy Family Chapel, which was built in 1867 and subsequently replaced by the Immaculate Conception Chapel. Completed in 1931, the new chapel was once the largest catholic church in the Sai Kung District with the greatest number of followers. After the Second World War, the church helped to establish Yuk Ying School, the only primary school in the village. In 1979, the chapel was damaged by a hurricane. Its clock tower was demolished when the building underwent restoration. As people gradually moved out of the village, there was a drop in the number of church followers. The chapel and the school were left unattended after they ceased operation in 1988. In recent years, the buildings are maintained by a conservation group in the parish.
The project is supported by Lord Wilson Heritage Trust.
電話: 2291 0238